Seniors should be working on the College Board's Opportunity Scholarships! I will post local scholarship information as I receive it. In the meantime, please consider the following as you prepare:
- Be prepared by gathering these items in advance. Getting Started
- Think of an unrelated adult (teacher, coach, counselor, boss, clergy member etc) who may be willing to write you a Letter of Recommendation. Be sure to provide them with information about yourself using a guide like this, LOR Personal Data Sheet Generally allow three weeks for the adult to prepare the letter. Many scholarships ask for this, so make copies.
- Start working on a personal essay. Have a basic draft that you can tailor to a particular theme. Common topics include: why you've chosen a particular major/career, a time when you've overcome adversity, describing your community service background, a person who has influenced your life. Scholarship Essay Tips
- Come to school! Some scholarship have attendance requirements.
- File your FAFSA as early as October 1, 2020. Need based scholarships may require information from your FAFSA.
- Read applications carefully. Pay close attention to deadlines, attach all required items and do not leave any section blank. Stay Organized with a Scholarship Tracker
- Join the Remind Group for updates and reminders. Instructions are here.
Congratulations to the 2020 Scholarship Recipients!
Thank you to our donors who make these awards possible. We are forever grateful for your generosity and encouragement.
UAHS Class of 2020 Virtual Awards Ceremony https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vSSeCnfikE&t=243s
Dream Innovate Grow Trade School + College Scholarship
- Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices will award three (3) $1,000 scholarships
- Each scholarship is renewable for up to four years
- See Mrs. Baker for an application
- Application deadline is Feb. 12, 2021 at 4:00 pm
The Jerilyn Walters Strohm Memorial Scholarship for students majoring in nursing.
General Scholarship for students pursuing any major.
Applications due by Feb. 27, 2021.
- DiMarco scholarship application due by March 1, 2021.
- Uniontown Lions Club scholarship application due by April 1, 2021.
- Lions Young Ambassadors scholarship application due by March 1, 2021. This is open to students in grades 8 -12.
- Deadlines vary from Nov. 30, 2020 – Feb. 20, 2021.
- See complete list here
Uniontown Area High School Hall of Fame Scholarships
- The UAHS Hall of Fame will award three $500 scholarships
- Applications are due by March 3, 2021.
- Variety of scholarships for Uniontown HS students
- Tips and list available here.
- Submit applications online by March 26, 2021.
Loving Daniel Scholarship
- A $500 scholarship will be awarded to a female and male student athlete
- Must have a 3.0 GPA to apply
- Applications due by April 1, 2021.
- Build your college list
- Practice for the SAT
- Improve your SAT Score
- Strengthen your college list
- Complete the FAFSA
- Apply to college
- these scholarships are open to Seniors and Juniors
- Open to students in grades 10, 11, 12
- $200 Awards for STEM, Community Service, Academic Improvement, Academic Excellence, Attendance
- Challenge Program Awards Locally Sponsored COE Distributing
- See Mrs. Baker for information on an Internship at COE Distributing
- Students will be asked to fill out surveys in Spring
Pittsburgh Job Corps / Community College of Allegheny County
- Job Corps is a no-cost education program administered by the US Dept of Labor that helps young people improve the quality of their lives through vocational & academic programs. Through this program, PELL Grant eligible students can attend CCAC tuition free. There is even transportation and housing assistance. More info here. See Mrs. Baker if you have questions.
- The American Legion offers a variety of scholarship contests
- See List of Scholarships Here
- Individual requirements and deadlines varies
Be cautious when searching the web for scholarship competitions. For example, scholarships are not "Guaranteed" and you should never have to provide your credit card or bank account number. Visit the Federal Trade Commission for more info on project $cholar$cam. Feel free to browse the College Board Scholarship Handbook in the library
Big Future – Free scholarship search
Black Excel – Free minority scholarship search
FinAid – Information about scholarship process, financial aid, scams, and links to fastweb.coom scholarship base.
Fastweb – Create a profile to find scholarship matches.
Scholarship America – Offers lots of resources for families and students, including a free ebook, The Scholarship Coach.
Raise.me – Raise.me allows students to earn "micro-scholarships" starting in 9th grade, to over 180 colleges and universities.
Financial Aid Finder – Lists scholarships and financial aid information
PHEAA – Pennsylvania High Education Assistance Agency – resource for student aid and college planning
FAFSA – Federal student aid application
mymoney.gov – Financial Literacy & Education Commission
studentaid.ed.gov – Financial Literacy / Financial Aid
Contact Mrs.Courtney Baker (email@example.com)